Copyright Dr. Elizabeth Garner and Gary Hind, July 29, 2014, All Rights Reserved
In Part 1, we saw the famous Melencolia sundial:
And we discovered that this sundial is NOT A SUNDIAL but a scroll, with the pointer, known as the gnonom NOT throwing a shadow, so we really don’t know what this object really is supposed to be and what the function of the pointer really is.
WHAT IS REALLY DEPICTED
There is much that is encoded in this fake sundial scroll, which you can see here:
1. The peach colored arrow is pointing to the Roman numeral 9 which was had been commonly written in EARLY Durer years (1486-1500) as XIIII instead of IX, as we would expect to see.
2. The two medium pink arrows pointing to the “IIII” of the 9 on the left side and the 4 (IIII) on the right side. They are encoded with dots below the four individual “I’s) of the number. Durer used the same trick in 1511 in a number of 1511 prints, one of which you see here:
Notice that Duerer encodes the date of 1511 by placing “dots” of a slightly different form above the symbols that supposedly represent the numerals of one (1). This is another of Durer’s highly encoded compositions. So we know Duerer is once again giving an encoded message with these IIII numerals.
3. The green arrow at the bottom pointing to the pointer/gnonom is not casting a shadow on anything
4. The red arrow is pointing to the numeral 3, which is NOT a numeral 3, it’s encoded with other information
5. The purple arrow is pointing to an encoded message above the Roman numeral 9 , XIIII.
6. The orange arrow is pointing to what looks like the Roman numeral 5, V, but it may be something other than a five
7. The peach arrow is also point to the Roma numeral V of the 9, VIIII, another encoded message
8.The blue arrow is pointing to a vertical “plank” that is next to the object that “suspends’ the pointer/gnonom, on the left of the suspension object
9.The yellow arrow points to a sheet, similar to what Duerer uses in other prints upon which to place his monogram, that has an inscription or a signature on it, which appears to start with the letter jJ
NOTICE THIS OTHER FAMOUS NUREMBERG SUNDIAL
This sundial is another famous “wall” sundial located in Nuremberg. Notice that there are only NINE numbers on the is sundial and there is no indication that we should expect any more numbers on this scroll. Also the numbers placed on this scroll sundial totally conflict with those that Duerer selected.
WHT IS REALLY GOING ON WITH THE SECRETS OF THE MELENCOLIA “SUNDIAL?”
More to come.
If you enjoy this article, please sign up to “Follow Me” at the Follow Me button in the upper right hand corner.